[mythtv-users] Video quality?

Tim Phipps mythtv-users at phipps-hutton.freeserve.co.uk
Mon Oct 1 13:50:19 UTC 2007

Piers Kittel wrote:
> The kicker is that I do have linear de-interlace already enabled on
> all of my frontends so... why aren't I seeing the best quality?  Am I
> doing something wrong?

Yes, you're using de-interlacing. Don't use it if you can avoid it. The
problem is though that if one of the following is true:

You're watching interlaced material and scaling up/down resolution.
You're watching interlaced material and changing the frame rate.
You're watching interlaced material on a non-interlaced display.

then you'll have to use de-interlacing. De-interlacing seems to be a bit
of a black art and what algorithm works best for you may not work for
someone else, and it may change depending on the material. You might
also become sensitised to the artifacts if you spend too long looking
for them.

Is it better if you turn off de-interlacing and watch progressive material?