[mythtv-users] mythtv & the future of HD

Rod Smith mythtv at rodsbooks.com
Thu Nov 15 01:23:16 UTC 2007

On Wednesday 14 November 2007 19:20:33 Steve Peters - Priority Electronics
wrote:

> So, would this be the answer to my original thread question?
>
> ---Other than free, over the air HD broadcasts, we mythtv users are
> basically SOL when it comes to cable/sat HD viewing, unless by chance we
> get lucky and some piece of hardware comes out that allows us to copy the
> HD streams unencrypted---
>
> I know it's a grim outlook, but is that the utter truth for us mythtv
> fans/users?

No. Two points, one of which I've already made:

1) Many (I suspect most) cable companies DO provide at least SOME digital
   content unencrypted. This is often just the OTA channels, but it is
   something (some people, myself included, can't tune the OTA channels
   with an antenna; we need cable or satellite to get them). This of course
   means that we're still at the mercy of the cable companies, but it does
   make for a slightly less harsh assessment than you've provided.

2) Your original question was about the FUTURE. Things change fast in the
   technology field. This isn't to say that things will necessarily improve,
   but to draw conclusions about the FUTURE based on CURRENT limitations
   (and capabilities, for that matter) is unwise, IMHO.

> Other than a few channels, are we stuck with SD programming and
> Standard Def RCA/Svideo from the cable box?

Right now and for most people, yes, although some people are luckier and a few
have it even worse off. In the future, despite the many posts your question
has elicited, the answer is still that NOBODY KNOWS!

--
Rod Smith
http://www.rodsbooks.com