[mythtv-users] mythtv & the future of HD

Steve Peters - Priority Electronics steve at priorityelectronics.com
Thu Nov 15 00:20:33 UTC 2007

-----Original Message-----
From: mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org
[mailto:mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org] On Behalf Of John Goerzen
Sent: Wednesday, November 14, 2007 3:03 PM
To: mythtv-users at mythtv.org
Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] mythtv & the future of HD

On Wed November 14 2007 1:37:09 pm Gabe Rubin wrote:

> Or if you are lucky enough to have a good cable provider (not Comcast
> or TimeWarner), then you may get everything over firewire.

>Is there yet any way legally to do this with satellite service?

So, would this be the answer to my original thread question?

---Other than free, over the air HD broadcasts, we mythtv users are
basically SOL when it comes to cable/sat HD viewing, unless by chance we get
lucky and some piece of hardware comes out that allows us to copy the HD
streams unencrypted---

I know it's a grim outlook, but is that the utter truth for us mythtv
fans/users? Other than a few channels, are we stuck with SD programming and
Standard Def RCA/Svideo from the cable box?

-Steve