[mythtv-users] VERY OT: Going to Linux.

Thom Paine painethom at gmail.com
Thu May 31 17:04:39 UTC 2007

I'll chime in here because I also play WoW.

I dual boot strictly for that purpose. I have a 20G partition on my
laptop set aside for XP and WoW. It runs better that way, and until we
can get a native client that will work on it, I figure that is the
best way to run it performance wise. My other issue is that to
download all my addons and dump them in my Addon folder is just easier
to do it on windows itself. I know I could get the downloads of addons
to work in linux, and unzip them and all, I find it's easier with a
dual boot.

I'm tempted to stick Fedora on my old laptop for my wife, and I'm sure
I could get away with it, mostly because all she is interested in is
facebook and msn, she does upload pictures to walmart for printing as
well, and I figure it's best not to change what she's used to.

She enjoys the mythbox, and has gotten addiced to it, much to my
suprise. In the beginning she would seldom use it, and would mostly
ask me to do things on it. Then I would catch her trying to figure it
out, and now the tv is strictly on the myth input, rather than the
backup satellite input.

My 2 year old and 6 month old have all their Baby Einstein DVD's on
there and enough Thomas the Tank Engine to last until they are 6, so I
would say it works well in our house.

The best answer as to which distro to use, is I always recommend use
what your friends use. But if you are the computer savvy friend in
your circle, use something you are familiar with already. Ubuntu is
always a safe bet, but I use Fedora. I 'grew up' on it, so I've stuck
to it.

--
-=/>Thom