[mythtv-users] Software RAID and ionice

David Brodbeck gull at gull.us
Tue May 29 17:27:26 UTC 2007

On May 24, 2007, at 3:32 AM, Richard Freeman wrote:
> Also - I'm still leery about xfs until I can find some documentation
> that clearly indicates that it doesn't zero out entire files if they
> were open when the system dies.

I have an XFS-based mythbox that's not on a UPS.  I've never seen it
zero out an entire file, unless that file had just started recording
(less than a minute.)  I've found XFS to be very robust in this
rather punishing application.  I do find I need to run xfs_fsr weekly
to keep fragmentation at bay.

There *were* some problems specific to XFS+LVM+RAID running on
particular kernel stack sizes, though, so be careful.  My system is a
straight single-disk system.  I stopped using LVM a couple years ago
after some bad experiences with lost data -- in one case the entire
contents of a 1 TB RAID array.