[mythtv-users] choppy audio with hdtv playback

William Munson william_munson at bellsouth.net
Mon May 28 15:31:35 UTC 2007

Pete Wall wrote:
> Ok, I've confirmed that it is the CPU, because if I move the terminal
> window to the side, so that it's not covering the mythfrontend screen
> anymore, the choppiness returns.
>
> I adjusted the slider in nvidia-settings, under the OpenGL section
> all the way to max performance, but that didn't resolve it.  I didn't
> find any other sliders in other categories.
>
> Are there other tips for increasing performance?
>
> Thanks,
> Pete

One thing that will probably help is to turn off de-interlacing or
setting it to 'onefield' which effectively cuts the rendering rate in
half. Another thing that may affect your performance is your storage
setup.  I found that using a LVM formatted with XFS filesystem was very
high in overhead but that would cause breakups around the packet
boundries as the latency was too high. It would not cause stuttering. I
am afraid that there is no substitute for horsepower.