[mythtv-users] What format to output - 480i/720p/1080i

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Mon May 21 21:28:20 UTC 2007

On 5/21/07, Matt <skd5aner at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi!
>
>    I recently got me a nice HD plasma.  In addition, I'm not recording
> some HD content over QAM, both 720p and 1080i.  The plasma's native
> resolution is: 1360x768/60Hz.
>
> 90% of my content is SD - 480i
> 10% is a mix of 720p and 1080i.
>
> My cable box will output whatever the original source content is.
> That allows the TV to scale and deinterlace, which it was built to do.
>  However, I believe I can only output one resolution from my video
> card.  Is there anyway for mythtv and/or xorg to output the native
> resolution of the recording and let the television handle the scaling
> and deinterlacing?
>
> I'm using a component adapter from my video card into the my TV.  I
> can also use HDMI/DVI or VGA, but I prefer not to use VGA because the
> TV doesn't have as many picture controls for that input.  The reason
> I'm not using DVI, is because you can't get the true native resolution
> over it, here's what you can get over the HDMI ports:
>
> 1920x1080i at 59.94/60 Hz
> 720x480p at 59.94/60 Hz
> 1280x720p at 59.94/60 Hz
> 720(1440)x480i at 59.94/60 Hz
> 1920x1080p at 24 Hz
>
> So, how should I output the video?  Obviously it's a progressive
> display, but I've noticed that some of my interlaced material could
> look better than the deinterlacing myth is providing.  Any thoughts?

with XRandR Myth can output any number of resolutions and change them
based on the content played back. I'd suggest setting up a 720p and
1080i modeline that work with your TV as well as one at it's native
resolution. Have the menu system setup to use the native res and have
it output TV at the recorded resolution. I'd recommend native for 480i
content.

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!