[mythtv-users] What format to output - 480i/720p/1080i

Matt skd5aner at gmail.com
Mon May 21 14:51:38 UTC 2007

Hi!

   I recently got me a nice HD plasma.  In addition, I'm not recording
some HD content over QAM, both 720p and 1080i.  The plasma's native
resolution is: 1360x768/60Hz.

90% of my content is SD - 480i
10% is a mix of 720p and 1080i.

My cable box will output whatever the original source content is.
That allows the TV to scale and deinterlace, which it was built to do.
 However, I believe I can only output one resolution from my video
card.  Is there anyway for mythtv and/or xorg to output the native
resolution of the recording and let the television handle the scaling
and deinterlacing?

I'm using a component adapter from my video card into the my TV.  I
can also use HDMI/DVI or VGA, but I prefer not to use VGA because the
TV doesn't have as many picture controls for that input.  The reason
I'm not using DVI, is because you can't get the true native resolution
over it, here's what you can get over the HDMI ports:

1920x1080i at 59.94/60 Hz
720x480p at 59.94/60 Hz
1280x720p at 59.94/60 Hz
720(1440)x480i at 59.94/60 Hz
1920x1080p at 24 Hz

So, how should I output the video?  Obviously it's a progressive
display, but I've noticed that some of my interlaced material could
look better than the deinterlacing myth is providing.  Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Matt