[mythtv-users] Slow program listings and deleting

migmog migmog at gmail.com
Thu May 17 10:38:34 UTC 2007

>This might go a long way to explaining why my parents MythTV system has
>been getting a bit sluggish recently.. it must have been running for
>over a year and a half on EIT and I can't remember ever running
>mythfilldatabase :-/

I'm in the same boat. My backend is a low oomph machine and recently
it's been struggling so much that I was going to do reinstall for the
first time in about a year and a half.

Since the EIT support came in (pre 0.19) I have never run mythfilldatabase.

A couple of days ago, I started getting an empty page for 'Upcoming
Recordings'. So I log in, and find that mysql is complaining that the
file for table 'recordmatch' could not be opened. I deleted the table,
copied the CREATE lines out of my last DB backup and used that to
create the table again. So I ran mythfilldatabase --no-delete, and
restarted the backend, the Upcoming Recordings are back. I dumped the
DB and it is now about half the previous size.

I think this should be a FAQ for everyone getting EIT listings -
probably most UK users with freeview.  It's rather counterintuitive
that mythfilldatabase --no-delete actually does an important job of
deleting stuff out of the database...... but hey.

Thou shalt put mythfilldatabase --no-delete in thy crontab when using
myth with freeview

I've updated the wiki:
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/EIT