[mythtv-users] Slow program listings and deleting

Steve Daniels steve.p.daniels at googlemail.com
Thu May 17 10:02:57 UTC 2007

Rob Willett (Mythtv) wrote:
> Michael,
>
> Bingo. This worked. It pulled my recordmatch table down to 136 rows from
>   4012. The execution time is now 0.5 sec as opposed to 70 secs or so.
>
> I'll add this to my crontab file as well as the optimise_mythdb.pl.
>
> Many thanks for your help,
>
> Rob
>
> Michael T. Dean wrote:

>> In 0.20-fixes and below, it is /mandatory/ that everyone run
>> mythfilldatabase "every once in a while" to maintain optimal performance
>> because it cleans out the old data from the database.  Even if you're
>> not using it to populate your listings, you need to run it.  So, how
>> often is "every once in a while?"  Well, I run it every day (but then
>> again, it populates my listings :).  If you're using EIT only, you could
>> set up a daily/weekly/monthly cron job to run it.  I think most of the
>> devs who use EIT only used to run it about once a month or two.
>>
>> "Used to run it?"  In SVN trunk (and 0.21 when it's released), running
>> mythfilldatabase will no longer be required as all the cleanup has been
>> moved to the backend.
>>
>> Once you've let mfdb clean out the old data, run optimize_mythdb.pl from
>> the contrib directory.  Also, I highly recommend you run
>> optimize_mythdb.pl in a cron job (I run it daily, but even weekly is
>> helpful).
>>
>> HTH,
>> Mike

This might go a long way to explaining why my parents MythTV system has
been getting a bit sluggish recently.. it must have been running for
over a year and a half on EIT and I can't remember ever running
mythfilldatabase :-/

"Last mythfilldatabase run started on 2006-09-17 13:27 and ended on
2006-09-17 13:27. FAILED: xmltv returned error code 512."

Huhum..

On an off topic note, I've also got this little gem displayed in MythWeb
"There's guide data until 2021-06-08 15:02 (5136 days)."

Time to do a little digging me thinks.

Steve Daniels