[mythtv-users] Choppy playback with PVR350 on Fedora Core 6

Bill Omer bill.omer at gmail.com
Tue May 15 14:16:21 UTC 2007

On 5/15/07, Jeff Fisher <mythtv-users at thefishers.ca> wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I currently have a machine running Fedora Core 5 w/ a PVR-350 and I'm
> having absolutely no problems with it when it comes to recording or
> playing back those recordings; however, the machine I setup for a friend
> is a totally different story. His machine is a similar hardware
> configuration to mine but instead of running Fedora Core 5, I decided to
> use Fedora Core 6. Basically, when watching live tv or watching a
> recording, the video is choppy and we did some testing to determine
> where the problem is and it seems to be when it is actually recording
> the show.
>
> We recorded an episode of Law & Order and I copied it from the myth box
> to my computer and used mplayer to play it back and the playback was
> choppy just like when watched through mythfrontend. While myth is
> recording I have checked CPU usage, memory usage, I/O numbers, etc.. and
> everything looks to be fine.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions as to what we should try to resolve
> this or even try to just figure out what is causing the problem? I'm
> tempted to redo his machine and put Fedora Core 5 on it to see if that
> helps but that doesn't seem like a very good long-term solution :)
>
> Here are some version numbers (myth was installed by following the
> Fedora Myth Howto):
>
> ivtv-0.10.1-126
> mythtv-0.20.1-156
> kernel-2.6.20-1.2944
>
> Thanks,
> Jeff

What do your log say?  Check dmesg, /var/log/messages, /var/log/secure
(or syslog) and your mythbackend logs.   Anything interesting in
there?

run iostat 1    when you are recording and look at the io usage from
there.   How does that look?

What kind of hardware configuration are you using anyway?

-Bill