[mythtv-users] I may have SOLVED the 5C cable encryption - DOH!

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu May 10 16:47:47 UTC 2007

On 05/10/2007 12:37 PM, Asher wrote:
> On 5/10/07, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
>
>> Wouldn't it only be illegal if the analog standard-definition versions
>> of these were also encrypted?  I'm pretty sure they're legally allowed
>> to encrypt all digital signals, and though many--including the EFF--are
>> trying to get the FCC to expand the rules preventing encryption of
>> analog rebroadcast of analog OTA to include digital rebroadcast of
>> digital OTA signals, the FCC has not yet done so.
>>
>> As far as the STB goes, it must have the interface, but the reg doesn't
>> say it must pass only unencrypted data through it.  I see this as two
>> unrelated requirements, but then again, I'm not a lawyer.
>>
> IANAL but from what I understand you are correct, but I think there is
> an existing requirement that analog broadcast of free ota channels in
> the area be unencrypted.

Yep.

> There are 2 requirements, the first is that all STBs have a working
> firewire port that passes unencrypted data through it and meets
> various requirements of the ANSI/SCTE standard.

Always has to be unencrypted?

> The second is that they must send free OTA channels without
> encryption.

It definitely makes sense that they should have to.  After all, what
good is requiring the firewire interface if the cable company can make
it useless by encrypting everything.  However, I would love to see the
specific part of the reg that says it's a requirement.  I would have
guessed (without doing the research it would take to know for sure) that
if the analog OTA signal were made available over this interface
(obviously digitally encoded), all other signals could be encrypted.

>   Maybe I'm wrong on that point but from what I have read
> that is true, and that is the opinion of the 1394TA as well.

Regardless of what the law says, it's a good thing for you to try to
convince your cable company to do the right thing.  So, keep up the
fight and I hope (for everyone in your area) you win it.

Mike