[mythtv-users] saa7134, bt878, on-board audio and recording profiles

James Klaas jklaas at appalachian.dyndns.org
Tue May 8 02:28:46 UTC 2007

I have a mythtv master backend with two tuners, an saa7134 and a
bt878.  I've finally figured out how to get all the hardware to record
correctly.  I must load the saa7134 drivers first, otherwise the tuner
doesn't work.  But I've run into another, extremely frustrating
problem.

Since I'm using the audio output from the saa7134, it's capture rate
must be 32000.  I made sure that the audioratelimit was set to 32000
when I set up the card in mythtv-setup.  However, I kept getting
chipmunk audio.  After tearing out my hair for a couple weeks, I
finally found a note pointing to setting up the audio rate in
recording profiles.  No problem, I thought, I'll just set the audio
rate in recording profiles.  Ooops.  No go.

When recording from the bt878 board which has analog audio going
through the nVidia on-board audio I get a low pulsing hum on
recordings made at 32000 through the on-board audio.  So, the onboard
audio seems to require an audio rate something other than 32000.
Thus, I have reached Catch-22, and lack of hair.

I was hoping there would be some way to set the audio rate for
recording profiles to match the hardware it's recorded on.  If that's
not possible, then what is the point of asking for the audio rate
limit when setting up the card?  It seems to just be ignored.
Certainly someone out there has run into this issue before.

James