[mythtv-users] Fire wire problems with SA3250

Benton Roberts benton at panix.com
Mon May 7 14:20:24 UTC 2007

Hey, Joe.

I too built my first Myth just over a month ago, and am now using two
SA3250s pretty successfully. My advice to you is:

#1) Since it's not working "out of the box" with MythTV, you're going to
have to do some lower-level tests. Make sure you've read through the
MythTV Firewire wiki page:
  http://mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/FireWire
That said, much of the info on that page is for Motorola cable boxes,
which operate well in firewire's "broadcast mode". I never got this mode
working on my SA3250HDs, so I use "P2P mode".

#2) The problem of getting no data over the bus is very common, but not
always solved. Just over a week ago, I posted an extensive write-up of
my experiences getting the SA3250HD working.  See "SA3250HD Firewire --
A New User's Findings":

-benton