[mythtv-users] How to run MythDVD?

William Munson william_munson at bellsouth.net
Sun May 6 19:01:40 UTC 2007

Lan Barnes wrote:
> I've read the on line docs and hit the wiki. I've looked in the
> Wilson/Tittel book. Time to ask.
>
> I have a working MythDora 3.2 box w/ 2 PVR-150s. I am a newbie although
> Linux savvy.
>
> My question pertains to MythDVD. I want to rip commercial DVDs (yes, I own
> them) and then burn new copies as well as have them on HD to play.
>
> When I insert a new DVD, k9copy kicks off. I don't know if this is
> necessary or a side effect of Fedora's annoying default of launching what
> it thinks I want to do when it sees new media. I have turned that off but
> can turn it back on if I need it.
>
> QUESTION 1: Is k9copy part of MythDVD or am I right to disable the auto

Correct, disable that from starting if you want myth to be able to
play/rip discs.
> start-up?
>
> When I do disable k9copy, I select "Import DVD" and get presented with a
> screen that shows the title of the DVD and has some configuration. At the
> bottom it says "0 Process Selected Title." It also shows "Title 1 of 21"
> with arrows that allow me to traverse all 21 selections ... but it always
> shows the same title.
>
> QUESTION 2: What's with the 21 selections?

Most are extras and trailers. There may be movies in more than one
language present or in 16:9 and 4:3 formats. I generally look to see
which one is the longest and rip it. You can always rip again :)

> When I select "0", it says "No jobs and nothing left to do. You could
> press 0 to rip a new DVD." Pressing 0 here takes me back to the select
> screen (but on 19 of 21). I've tried this with the "Select" box checked
> AND unchecked. No joy.
>
> QUESTION 3: What's up? Am I missing some configuration somewhere?
>
> TIA for help

The part that is missing is "mtd" which is the transcode daemon and is
used for ripping dvd's. You can run it from a console session however
its probably better if you started it as a daemon by adding a line to
/etc/rc.local or where ever you start your processes.