[mythtv-users] Small, low cost MythTV clients...

Ozzy Lash ozzy.lash at gmail.com
Thu May 3 14:50:59 UTC 2007

On 5/3/07, stuart <stuart at xnet.com> wrote:

> I agree with you that a MythTV frontend HD capable thin client would be
> the ultimate goal of these new wiki pages.  If it communicated using
> UPnP that would be fine, if it used native MythTV protocol that would be
> better and if it ran a real MythTV front end that would be great!

I think that depends upon what is possible with UPnP.  For the end
user the protocol doesn't matter, it is the features that are
available.  I am not sure how many of the features of UPnP are "client
side" verses "server side", but if things like bookmarks, commercial
or 30 second skip, etc. can be developed in the mythtv UPnP server,
it could be argued that this would be better, since you could buy any
of the HD capable clients to use as a frontend.

My guess is that some of these features have to be handled "client
side", so a client speaking the myth protocol, or, preferably a true
myth frontend would be better, but I am not a UPnP expert.