[mythtv-users] Small, low cost MythTV clients...

stuart stuart at xnet.com
Thu May 3 14:33:27 UTC 2007

Hi Todd..

Todd Ignasiak wrote:
> On 5/2/07, Todd Ignasiak <ignasiak at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 5/1/07, stuart <stuart at xnet.com> wrote:
>>
>>> If someone would start a thin-client or galaxy wiki where we could post
>>> pictures, I could upload some examples.
>> I just put a quick UPnP Client page up on the Wiki:
>>
>> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/UPnPClientInfo
>>

> I just put up several screen shots of the UPnP menu navigation and
> added some info about the D-Link DSM-520.  It is linked from the above
> page, or available directly at:
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/DLinkDSM520-UPnP
>

> Summary of my initial impressions:
>
> The DMS-520 HD UPnP client shows a lot of promise.  Setup was simple,
> and basic HD playback was great.  But, the playback controls are too
> limiting, providing no way to bookmark/resume playback and no usable
> FF/skip option.    Sitting through commercials is painful enough to me
> that I will be returning the unit to the store for now.

I tried to add Galaxy 3500 and Netgear mp101 (music only) info to the
MythTV wiki pages last night.  I don't know what happened to the text.
I think there was a merge problem.  It's just as well as I am starting
to realize how you are putting together the pages (i.e. new wiki page
for each client).

So, how do you make a new wiki page?

I would still like to see pages for native mythTV protocol thin clients.
    And somehow I would like to see this page:
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Choosing_Frontend_Hardware
...integrated into this effort. I think that would reduce duplicate
efforts and make it less confusing for anyone using the wiki.

I agree with you that a MythTV frontend HD capable thin client would be
the ultimate goal of these new wiki pages.  If it communicated using
UPnP that would be fine, if it used native MythTV protocol that would be
better and if it ran a real MythTV front end that would be great!