[mythtv-users] live tv issues

Brett Stevens brett at inngineering.com
Wed May 2 06:57:12 UTC 2007

> Brett Stevens wrote:
>> Hi guys, I have an interesting issue that I cannot seem to find an
>> answer
>> to...
>>
>> I have two systems both of which can run a single system myth setup with
>> absolutely no problems. Both have been rebuilt over and over to get this
>> right.
>>
>> The problem is when I split them up so as to run a master backend and
>> frontend on one and a standard backend / frontend on the other. They are
>> connected with intel e1000 nics connected to a 100mbs switch. The
>> network
>> as plenty of capacity to handle many video streams including multiple
>> mpeg2 streams. The server hd access is via raid5 lvm on new 250gb sata
>> disks
>>
>> All in all I would have to say that capacity access and network is all
>> good
>>
>> however when I change the system over to the distributed model live tv
>> breaks down becomes very blocky and seems to drop large numbers of
>> frames.
>>
>> Ive posted this to the lists before and always assumed that it was my
>> version of myth my hardware etc. Ive now upgraded my hardware and myth
>> versions to the latest to no avail.
>>

> Looks like the mpeg is damaged in some way (but you knew that).
>
> The first thing I'd do is to prove out the network. The hardware specs
> indicate it *should* be up to the task, but is it really performing as
> it should be?
>
> I'd try some test transfers outside of Myth, perhaps bonnie on an
> nfs-mounted filesystem as well.
>
> Does ifconfig show any errors? Do you perhaps have interrupt conflicts
> on the NICs?
>
> I've read someplace about 100 speed switches, especially consumer grade
> ones, having trouble with GB NICS and stacks, I'll try and find that
> info if I can.

Great thoughts, Ill look into it, however it appears that when I go back
to a single system, that's backend frontend and mysql all on one it still
does it untill I rebuild.

this is incredibly strange behavour.
One note tho' I can serve mpeg4 and mpeg2 to a small media box with out
any issues.

Ill post results of network tests,

thanks

Brett Stevens