[mythtv-users] live tv issues

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Wed May 2 05:12:41 UTC 2007

Brett Stevens wrote:
> Hi guys, I have an interesting issue that I cannot seem to find an answer
> to...
>
> I have two systems both of which can run a single system myth setup with
> absolutely no problems. Both have been rebuilt over and over to get this
> right.
>
> The problem is when I split them up so as to run a master backend and
> frontend on one and a standard backend / frontend on the other. They are
> connected with intel e1000 nics connected to a 100mbs switch. The network
> as plenty of capacity to handle many video streams including multiple
> mpeg2 streams. The server hd access is via raid5 lvm on new 250gb sata
> disks
>
> All in all I would have to say that capacity access and network is all good
>
> however when I change the system over to the distributed model live tv
> breaks down becomes very blocky and seems to drop large numbers of frames.
>
> Ive posted this to the lists before and always assumed that it was my
> version of myth my hardware etc. Ive now upgraded my hardware and myth
> versions to the latest to no avail.

Looks like the mpeg is damaged in some way (but you knew that).

The first thing I'd do is to prove out the network. The hardware specs
indicate it *should* be up to the task, but is it really performing as
it should be?

I'd try some test transfers outside of Myth, perhaps bonnie on an
nfs-mounted filesystem as well.

Does ifconfig show any errors? Do you perhaps have interrupt conflicts
on the NICs?

I've read someplace about 100 speed switches, especially consumer grade
ones, having trouble with GB NICS and stacks, I'll try and find that
info if I can.