[mythtv-users] US Gov gives $80 credit towards purchase of HD equipment??

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Mon Mar 19 16:00:07 UTC 2007

On Mar 19, 2007, at 9:47 AM, Peter A. Daly wrote:

> The government is, by implication, calling a TV a "necessity" and not
> a luxury. Not long ago a telephone was a "luxury" and we now have
> programs to aid the poor in obtaining this "necessity of life", at
> least for emergency purposes.
>
> I disagree.  What they are saying is people should be able to fully
> expect the TV's they currently own to work as is until they
> physically fail.  That was the expectation when they were
> purchased.  I've watched some of the CSPAN hearing on this, and
> that is the rational.
>
> If the government implements something to cause TV's to fail
> prematurely for whatever reason, they feel (and rightly so) they
> have an obligation to "fix" the sets they cause to break before
> their normal end of life.
>
> My understanding is they want this spectrum back for a number of
> reasons, only some of which related to TV.  Either way, the real
> issue of the credit relates to the breaking of current sets that
> are not yet at end of life, and the owners who expect them to
> continue to work.

Then why not allow the credit to be used towards the purchase of a
digital-capable set?

Many states have laws which now require the replacement of
automobiles which would otherwise  be quite capable of continuing in
life, not directly perhaps but NJ, for example, has stated publicly
they they want to get any car over 10 years old off the road.

Laws in NYC have "broken" fireplaces which once worked but are now
illegal to operate.

Cellular carriers have rendered analog phones that once cost many $$$
useless even though they still operate as designed.

Record companies have made expensive turntables into costly lazy-susans.

Microsoft makes perfectly serviceable computers unusable to most
consumers.

Nothing runs forever.

But I do see your point, and it is well taken.