[mythtv-users] US Gov gives $80 credit towards purchase of HD equipment??

Peter A. Daly petedaly at gmail.com
Mon Mar 19 15:47:59 UTC 2007

> The government is, by implication, calling a TV a "necessity" and not
> a luxury. Not long ago a telephone was a "luxury" and we now have
> programs to aid the poor in obtaining this "necessity of life", at
> least for emergency purposes.

I disagree.  What they are saying is people should be able to fully expect
the TV's they currently own to work as is until they physically fail.  That
was the expectation when they were purchased.  I've watched some of the
CSPAN hearing on this, and that is the rational.

If the government implements something to cause TV's to fail prematurely for
whatever reason, they feel (and rightly so) they have an obligation to "fix"
the sets they cause to break before their normal end of life.

My understanding is they want this spectrum back for a number of reasons,
only some of which related to TV.  Either way, the real issue of the credit
relates to the breaking of current sets that are not yet at end of life, and
the owners who expect them to continue to work.

-Pete