[mythtv-users] ivtv capture is good, but mythtv hoses it

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu Jun 28 01:47:32 UTC 2007

On 06/27/2007 08:10 PM, Nick Morrott wrote:
> Thanks for the clarification. Does this mean that the DVD-Special-2
> streamtype - which is used for Windows MCE as Mike Dean pointed out -
> is no longer supported by the current ivtv driver/firmware? If it
> still is supported and provides better quality captures that the
> standard DVD streamtype

I doubt there's much difference in the final product between any of the
DVD stream types.  I hadn't noticed the not-using-Special-2-using-DVD
messages in the log on the box with the PVR-x50's until you mentioned
it, so in spite of the settings I posted, the recordings I've seen have
all been DVD stream type.

As I mentioned, I think the differences would be on a micro scale and
are likely to have more of an effect of the card than on the resultant
file.  I should also mention that I haven't been keeping up with ivtv
for quite a while, now (since I started planning my move to all OTA
HDTV--and I'm now long past the planning stage and into the enjoyment
stage).  So, I trust the ivtv devs much more than I trust my memory of
how things used to be.  If they got rid of DVD-Special support, I'm sure
there was a good reason to do so.  :)

Mike