[mythtv-users] ivtv capture is good, but mythtv hoses it

Nick Morrott knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Thu Jun 28 00:10:05 UTC 2007

On 27/06/07, Daniel Kristjansson <danielk at cuymedia.net> wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-06-27 at 18:02 +0100, Nick Morrott wrote:

> > To me, at least, this error is incorrect, as the information I see
> > from looking at ivtv.h from the ivtv driver source is:
> >
> > [root at homer driver]# cat /usr/src/ivtv-0.6.7/driver/ivtv.h |fgrep "IVTV_STREAM_"
> > #define IVTV_STREAM_PS          0
> > #define IVTV_STREAM_TS          1
> > #define IVTV_STREAM_MPEG1       2
> > #define IVTV_STREAM_PES_AV      3
> > #define IVTV_STREAM_PES_V       5
> > #define IVTV_STREAM_PES_A       7
> > #define IVTV_STREAM_DVD         10
> > #define IVTV_STREAM_VCD         11
> > #define IVTV_STREAM_SVCD        12
> > #define IVTV_STREAM_DVD_S1      13
> > #define IVTV_STREAM_DVD_S2      14
> > #define IVTV_STREAM_INFO_V1_SIZE 8
>
> The stream type warning is grounded in a firmware issue. Newer
> firmware does not support some of the stream types that older
> firmware supported, such as MPEG-TS. There is no way for MythTV
> to query from ivtv which ones will actually work with the
> particular firmware that is loaded. Plus the newer drivers only
> support a subset of these stream types anyway. We restrict
> ourselves to the ones that work with both the newest drivers
> and the newest firmware images as well as old drivers and
> old firmware.

Daniel,

Thanks for the clarification. Does this mean that the DVD-Special-2
streamtype - which is used for Windows MCE as Mike Dean pointed out -
is no longer supported by the current ivtv driver/firmware? If it
still is supported and provides better quality captures that the
standard DVD streamtype, should we 'whitelist' that streamtype, or is
that not a path we want to go down? Would the ivtv driver providing an
enumeration of supported streamtypes be a useful function?

Thanks,
--
Nick

MythTV Official wiki: