[mythtv-users] OT: Free backup solution for my linux boxes?

David Raine rainecc at gmail.com
Sat Jun 9 17:39:21 UTC 2007

On 08/06/07, Boleslaw Ciesielski <bolek-mythtv at curl.com> wrote:
> William Munson wrote:
> > Perhaps I missed it but I do not see an easy way to restore to a virgin
> > system without installing lots of crud first. Desired restore mode, drop
> > in disk, boot, click restore or keyboard something to start. Sit back
> > and wait for fully functional system to emerge.
>
> See
> http://www.bacula.org/rel-manual/Disast_Recove_Using_Bacula.html#SECTION004340000000000000000

I use bacula and it does bare metal recovery in the current version.
Drop in a CD, boot, run through a series of manual scripts and wait.
You need to create a folder on the CD for each system, as it creates
the scripts specifically for each machine. Linux only for BMR at the
moment though.

I use it for all the boxes around the house, windows boxes, servers,
etc. Sweet and very easy to restore stuff. Concepts take a while to
get to grips with, and there is no real gui yet, but the text
interface does everything I need and most of my backups are
auto-scheduled anyway, so I only ever look at it when I need to
restore a file.