[mythtv-users] Unusual Audio/Video lag on an AMD64 3000+

Nick Morrott knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Sat Jun 9 08:24:12 UTC 2007

On 09/06/07, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
> On 06/08/2007 09:08 PM, Nick Morrott wrote:

> > Having looked over the Fedora init script recently, I'm thinking that
> > the mythbackend pseudo-home directory should also be included (or
> > amended) so that it is also included in the search path.
>
> I'm thinking that the Fedora init script should be fixed to set a proper
> HOME environment variable, i.e.:
>
> HOME=$MYTHTV_HOME
> export HOME
>
> Or, assuming daemon supports it, through some command-line option, at least.
>
> After all, a /lot/ of pieces of Myth are built around the concept of
> "user's home directory = $HOME".
>
> What benefit does MYTHTV_HOME provide, anyway?

It's a (albeit hacky) way to set up a pseudo-home directory for the
mythbackend daemon when a "normal" $HOME variable is not defined
during init. It should ensure that no /.qt and /.mythtv directories
are created.

It is more elegant to provide it as a user-configurable variable and
then export it. I'm waiting for some feedback from Anduin on a patch I
submitted against the init script that checks for the presence of this
directory due to the way the script had been updated to start the
bakcend from a possibly missing directory, but exporting $HOME would
be the optimal method of sorting out the issue.

I tend to think of mythbackend as a daemon and choose to keep it's
config somewhere under /etc rather than in a "regular user's" /root or
/home directory. I see mythfrontend as a GUI-driven user application,
but there's a need to share configuration information to be able to
access the DB/display icons etc and herein lies the heart of the
issue, as I see it.

--
Nick

MythTV Official wiki: