[mythtv-users] Unusual Audio/Video lag on an AMD64 3000+

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sat Jun 9 05:15:54 UTC 2007

On 06/08/2007 09:08 PM, Nick Morrott wrote:
> On 08/06/07, Brian J. Murrell <brian at interlinx.bc.ca> wrote:
>

>> Why does this "./optimize_mythdb.pl" prefer the contents
>> of /usr/share/mythtv/mysql.txt over "$ENV{HOME}/.mythtv/mysql.txt"?
>> Surely the latter, if present has got to be more relevant than a
>> shipped-with-the-distribution file, no?  In fact I'd say that file has
>> the highest importance, not the 5th highest.
>>

> >From the source of the MythTV perl bindings
> (http://cvs.mythtv.org/trac/browser/trunk/mythtv/bindings/perl/MythTV.pm):
>
> 111	# Read the mysql.txt file in use by MythTV.  It could be in a couple places,
> 112	# so try the usual suspects in the same order that mythtv does in
> 113	# libs/libmyth/mythcontext.cpp
> 114	    our %mysql_conf = ('hostname' => hostname);
> 115	    my $found = 0;
> 116	    my @mysql = ('/usr/local/share/mythtv/mysql.txt',
> 117	                 '/usr/share/mythtv/mysql.txt',
> 118	                 '/usr/local/etc/mythtv/mysql.txt',
> 119	                 '/etc/mythtv/mysql.txt',
> 120	                 $homedir            ? "$homedir/.mythtv/mysql.txt"    : '',
> 121	                 'mysql.txt',
> 122	                 $ENV{'MYTHCONFDIR'} ? "$ENV{'MYTHCONFDIR'}/mysql.txt" : '',
> 123	                );
>

> Having looked over the Fedora init script recently, I'm thinking that
> the mythbackend pseudo-home directory should also be included (or
> amended) so that it is also included in the search path.

I'm thinking that the Fedora init script should be fixed to set a proper
HOME environment variable, i.e.:

HOME=$MYTHTV_HOME
export HOME

Or, assuming daemon supports it, through some command-line option, at least.

After all, a /lot/ of pieces of Myth are built around the concept of
"user's home directory = $HOME".

What benefit does MYTHTV_HOME provide, anyway?

Mike