[mythtv-users] OT: 'Intelligent' router for home myth system?

James Buckley xanium4332 at googlemail.com
Thu Jun 7 08:11:28 UTC 2007

On 07/06/07, Peter Schachte <schachte at csse.unimelb.edu.au> wrote:

> migmog wrote:
> >> You probably want to look into a Linksys NSLU2 (slug)...
> >
> > Aye. Only I want to be a wireless router as well - there's not enough
> > holes in the slug to plug in all those ethernet cables ;-) Besides,
> > I've already got a slug-equiv NAS box which works fine. I want to
> > switch it off.
>
> This sounds exactly like what I suggested on Dell's Ideastorm site.  See
>

> http://www.ideastorm.com/article/show/66425/Develop_a_lightweight_integrated_routerWiFiFile_serverprint_server
>
> Here's hoping someone starts selling such a box.

I got around the no adsl problem using a £15 quid Linksys ADSL2MUE. It looks
like every other one of their products, but has the ability to do a PPPoA
(british adsl) to PPPoE conversion.

Britsh ADSL actually allows a single PPPoE connection on a PPPoA line (so
the WRTSL54GS's PPPoE authentication works fine). I'm not explaining this
very well, if you go to
http://forums.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/forum_posts.asp?TID=2532&PN=1 You'll see
what I mean, they're using a WRT54H but it works fine with the WRTSL54GS. I
use option 2, there's no draw backs, and it means you can use any PPPoE
capable router in your setup.

Basically the ADSL2MUE acts as a bridge between PPPoE and PPPoA.