[mythtv-users] Screwed up display.

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sat Jun 2 15:10:29 UTC 2007

On 06/02/2007 02:29 AM, clemens at dwf.com wrote:

> BUT, it looked like it might be useful to go into the 'display in
> window' mode just to be able to set options more easily (close the
> display window, do something, come back).

You really don't need windowed mode for this if your Window Manager
supports hot keys for minimize and restore.  Just minimize the
fullscreen frontend, do your other stuff, then restore it.  The window
is primarily for those who want to run mythfrontend on a desktop
computer where they might drag it around from place to place depending
on what else their doing.

> BAD IDEA, I clicked the box, and it went into the 'display in window'
> mode, but also went from 1280x1024 to something like 640x480.  All
> the fonts are larger and I can only see the upper left corner of the
> display/screens.
>
> I have successfully (once) gone in and changed back (uncecked) the
> box, but the damn code remains in this useless mode.  Ive logged
> in/out and rebooted, still stuck in the bad mode.

It sounds like you're saying, "After unchecking the option, 'Run the
frontend in a window,' the frontend is still running at 640x480 (but
perhaps without window decorations, depending on WM)."  If so:

mythfrontend -geometry 1280x1024

Otherwise, I need you to explain what "the bad mode" is.

And, unless you're running Myth on an LCD whose native resolution is
1280x1024, you're better off using an X resolution with square pixels.
(I'm assuming your monitor isn't really a 5:4 monitor--as I've never
seen one.)  So, 1280x960 or 1024x768 would be better for MythTV
0.20-fixes and below.  In 0.21, it won't matter.

See http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Display_Size and
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Frequently_Asked_Questions#Q:_All_my_fonts_look_like_they_are_the_wrong_sizes.2C_how_can_I_correct_this.3F
and http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Specifying_DPI_for_NVIDIA_Cards
for more.

> Any thoughts on how to get out? I guess I can start deleting files,
> but that usually gets me in trouble.

Deleting files generally won't do anything for Myth.  All the settings
are stored in the database (with the exception of the location of the
database, of course).

Mike