[mythtv-users] OT: Hardware failure

Eric Smith erictsmith at gmail.com
Wed Jul 25 17:15:15 UTC 2007

On 7/25/07, David Brodbeck <gull at gull.us> wrote:

> On Jul 25, 2007, at 8:42 AM, Eric Smith wrote:
> > Does anyone think its worth flashing the BIOS?  I would have done
> > that already but it can only be done from floppy... and i don't
> > have a floppy drive readily accessible so its a little bit of work
> > to get it done.
>
> I would NOT attempt to flash the BIOS on a system that's acting up,
> unless the problems appeared immediately after a BIOS flash.  It's
> unlikely to help, and the odds of doing more damage if the flash
> fails for some reason are too high.
>
> The suggestion that you might be seeing overheating is a good one,
> because it goes back to the thing you changed right before the
> problem appeared.  If your BIOS has a 'PC Health' page, you might
> check the temperatures there.  That said, MEMTEST-86 exercises the
> CPU pretty heavily; if you can run that without errors, this probably
> isn't your problem.

Overheating is really what started this whole fiasco... but now in testing
I'm running with the case open and brand new thermal grease.  And it ran
through memtest for 12 hours with no trouble.  And it boots that old FC3
drive with no trouble consistently, so I don't think heat is the issue.  My
BIOS PC Health screen shows the CPU temp at something like 39C i think at
boot up.  And that temp is consistent if i let it try to boot the kernel let
it sit hung for a few minutes and then reboot back into the PC Health
screen.  The Barton cores always ran pretty hot (from my experience with
this one and what i read online).