[mythtv-users] OT: Hardware failure

David Brodbeck gull at gull.us
Wed Jul 25 17:07:38 UTC 2007

On Jul 25, 2007, at 8:42 AM, Eric Smith wrote:
> Does anyone think its worth flashing the BIOS?  I would have done
> that already but it can only be done from floppy... and i don't
> have a floppy drive readily accessible so its a little bit of work
> to get it done.

I would NOT attempt to flash the BIOS on a system that's acting up,
unless the problems appeared immediately after a BIOS flash.  It's
unlikely to help, and the odds of doing more damage if the flash
fails for some reason are too high.

The suggestion that you might be seeing overheating is a good one,
because it goes back to the thing you changed right before the
problem appeared.  If your BIOS has a 'PC Health' page, you might
check the temperatures there.  That said, MEMTEST-86 exercises the
CPU pretty heavily; if you can run that without errors, this probably
isn't your problem.