[mythtv-users] OT: Hardware failure

David Brodbeck gull at gull.us
Tue Jul 24 05:10:02 UTC 2007

Brian Wood wrote:
> My guess would be that when you recently  were working on the machine
> one of the IDE cables loosened up at a connector (the ribbon cable to
> the connector, not the connector pair itself). This can happen easily,
> especially with not-top-of-the-line cables.

Or bent a pin.  I mashed a pin over on a drive connector once, and every
time I hooked that drive up the whole system would lock during the POST.
 It took me forever to figure that one out.

I've also had systems that would appear dead (no video, no beeps,
nothing) if one of the IDE cables was upside-down, or if the drives were
mis-jumpered.  IDE seems to not be very isolated from the other system
buses.

In my experience, if the system locks up during POST with the HDD light
on solid, it's often a problem on the IDE bus.