[mythtv-users] OT: Hardware failure

Robert Bradbury robert.bradbury at gmail.com
Tue Jul 24 13:38:30 UTC 2007

I'm and old motherboard fan too.  I've got an old Gateway Pentium 75MHz
machine that has a special place in my heart since it survived a fire that
burned the house down (PS, MBO, CPU & disk drives worked fine though not the
CD.  The floppy works at least some of the time).  I've upgraded the memory
from to 128MB (from 96MB).  It runs Windows 98 (boo!) and Ubuntu Linux :-)
[1].  With the added Linksys PCI Ethernet card it has access over the
network to a few hundred GB of NFS drive space on the other in house
machines.

It has extra PCI slots so I could stick a Hauppauge 150 or 1600 in the box.
Push comes to shove and I could probably add a SATA card and a couple of
drives.

The machine isn't doing much otherwise except collecting dust in the
basement.
Can I run MythTV on it?  (I really don't want to spend a week and a few
hundred $ attempting this if its a lost cause).

1. Though I wouldn't say it is exactly speedy about booting up X.