[mythtv-users] OT: Stream Music around the house

Peter Bowyer peter at bowyer.org
Tue Jul 17 09:56:58 UTC 2007

On 17/07/07, Damian <damian at gingermagic.co.uk> wrote:
> Could you tell me what the difference is between Squeezebox 1,
> Squeezebox 2 and Squeezebox 3? Can they all do the same thing with them
> being open source software?

Drifting waaay off topic now.... working backwards: SB3 is the new
physical design, comes in wired and wired+wireless. SB2 is the same
guts but older case.
SB2/3 play more encoding formats natively (FLAC I think), although the
Slimserver does transcode if needed for older clients.

SB1 came in wired+wireless only, and had the older display, although
there was a display upgrade option. Firmware is upgradeable - new
releases of Slimserver often come with new releases of firmware - the
upgrade is a single button press.

Slimp3 is older still - wired (10Mbit) only, much more restrictive
firmware. Will happily play MP3s across wired networks with analogue
outputs.

> Can they all connect to pandora etc or is that a new addition of
> Squeezebox 3?

I *think* that both SB2 and SB3 will do that... if that's a
dealbreaker then better get it confirmed.

> Also, I just saw Roku SoundBridge on the net. Is that the same kind of
> thing?

Yes - although I can't remember the details. The Slimserver code is
open source, and Roku have used it.

--
Peter Bowyer
Email: peter at bowyer.org