[mythtv-users] Hauppauge IR compatible with IR repeater system

Meatwad meatwad.get.the.honeys at gmail.com
Tue Jul 10 04:21:22 UTC 2007

Michelle Dupuis wrote:
> That's actually the repeater brand I have: Xantech (and it all works great).
> Do I understand you correctly that if I connect the (signal) of the output
> on the Xantech, to the tip of the Hauppauge (signal) input, and the outer
> ring of the Xantech (ground) to the outer ring of the Hauppauge (ground) I
> should be ok?  (I can sever the power wire if necessary)

First, please avoid top-posting as bottom-posting is the convention for
this list.

You misunderstand. The IR input on the Hauppauge is electrically similar
if not identical to the IR RCVR input of the connecting block. This
circuit is completely different then the emitter outputs of the
connecting block and the "IR In" ports commonly found on the back of
(mid to high-range) receivers, DVD players, projectors, displays, etc.

If you connect the output of the connecting block to the IR RCVR input
of the Hauppauge - even if you wire it without the power lead - you will
a) damage the the Hauppauge or b) have very erratic behavior, if any.

The solution would be to take an emitter and tape it head-to-head to the
Hauppauge's IR receiver. Not pretty but it will work very reliably as
long as you align the emitter and receiver properly.

You can find more detailed (err, confusing) info over at the Russound
website in the IR products section. Sadly, no direct links just like
Xantech.

HTH

--
mw