[mythtv-users] DirecTV D11-500 Control Issue

David George david at thegeorges.us
Thu Jul 5 13:02:23 UTC 2007

On 06/23/2007 12:45 PM, jmk wrote:
> Hi,
>
> After a few years of successfully using two RCA DirecTV boxes, one of
> them sadly kicked the bucket. DirecTV sent me a D11-500 as a
> replacement. Unfortunately, I'm not having any luck getting channel
> changing working with it. Here's my current setup...
>
> I have four USB->serial adapters I've been testing (pl2303-based,
> Keyspan and two recommended in the Wiki [1]). The pl2303 and Keyspan
> both have worked from within Linux for other tasks. I'm also using a
> NULL modem adapter [2].
>
> Using the two directv.pl scripts recommended in the Wiki [3][4], I am
> unable to elicit any type of response from the device. Each attempt
> results in an "excessive retry" message and the script aborts. I've
> messed with the baud rate (9600 vs 115200), but this seems to have no
> effect. Is it possible that the port is disabled? Any thoughts on how
> one would verify this? Any suggestions as to other modifications I could
> try?

Has anyone replied to your actual question yet?  I have a D12-300 (not
sure how similar it is to the D11-500) with a USB port on the back.  I
used one of my old pl2303 cables that I bought on eBay a few years ago
and it works perfectly.  I used the directv3.pl script from the pdp8
site mentioned.  I call the script with:

/usr/local/bin/directv3.pl box_type d10-100

No other options were needed because on my myth box I am using
/dev/ttyS0.  If you are using a different serial port you can use:
directv3.pl box_type d10-100 port /dev/ttyUSB0' for example.  I did use
a null modem cable between the directv receiver and the myth box.

--
David