[mythtv-users] Problem with TV Out on M2NPV-VM

Paul Bender pebender at san.rr.com
Tue Jul 3 18:41:13 UTC 2007

David Kickham wrote:
> Hopefully someone can give me a hand.  I've been struggling with this
> for a week now, and have tried everything I can think of (and many
> different guides online).
>
> My system is:
> -Asus M2NPV-VM (GeForce 6150 onboard graphics with built in TV Out)
> -AMD A64 X2 3600+
> -1Gb DDR
> -PVR-150
> -CRT with a composite input.
>
> I set up Ubuntu following this guide:
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MythTV_Feisty_Backend_Frontend
> <https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MythTV_Feisty_Backend_Frontend>
>
> When using the default video drivers that come with the install, the TV
> Out works, kinda.  The picture has a keystone and has a lot of
> underscan.  It is a bit distorted too.  I haven't found a way to adjust
> any of these with the default drivers.
>
> I've tried all of the proprietary Nvidia drivers in the Ubuntu
> repositories (nvidia-glx-legacy, nvidia-glx, and nvidia-glx-new).  X
> won't even start with the legacy drivers, so that is out.  With the two
> other drivers, X somehow overrides the BIOS configuration that has TV
> Out enabled and RGB disabled.  X displays only on the RGB connection and
> I cannot reconnect to any of the other terminals  (CTRL+ALT+F1, etc...)
> that were displaying on the TV Out before X started.
>
> Does anyone have a setup that works using the M2NPV-VM?  I'm willing to
> switch distros if need be.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.

I just bought that board for use in a MythTV frontend. In getting it
running with MiniMyth <http://linpvr.org/minimyth/>, I ran into a few
problems. The problems caused access to be locked out when the NVIDI
driver loaded and caused the NVIDIA kernel driver to oops.

I needed a newer kernel. By default MiniMyth has used 2.6.17.14. I
switched to 2.6.22-rc7. Likely the kernel did not need to be that new,
but what the heck.

I needed to disable APIC in the BIOS.

I needed to add irqpoll to the boot line.

After that, everything worked with the 1-0-9746 proprietary NVIDIA
drivers, which is the default NVIDIA driver in MiniMyth. MiniMyth does
not use newer NVIDIA drivers because of broken EDID support.