[mythtv-users] Problem with TV Out on M2NPV-VM

David George david at thegeorges.us
Tue Jul 3 18:55:29 UTC 2007

On 07/03/2007 02:12 PM, David Kickham wrote:
> Hopefully someone can give me a hand.  I've been struggling with this
> for a week now, and have tried everything I can think of (and many
> different guides online).
>
> My system is:
> -Asus M2NPV-VM (GeForce 6150 onboard graphics with built in TV Out)
> -AMD A64 X2 3600+
> -1Gb DDR
> -PVR-150
> -CRT with a composite input.
>
> I set up Ubuntu following this guide:
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MythTV_Feisty_Backend_Frontend
> <https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MythTV_Feisty_Backend_Frontend>
>
> When using the default video drivers that come with the install, the
> TV Out works, kinda.  The picture has a keystone and has a lot of
> underscan.  It is a bit distorted too.  I haven't found a way to
> adjust any of these with the default drivers.
>
> I've tried all of the proprietary Nvidia drivers in the Ubuntu
> repositories (nvidia-glx-legacy, nvidia-glx, and nvidia-glx-new).  X
> won't even start with the legacy drivers, so that is out.  With the
> two other drivers, X somehow overrides the BIOS configuration that has
> TV Out enabled and RGB disabled.  X displays only on the RGB
> connection and I cannot reconnect to any of the other terminals
> (CTRL+ALT+F1, etc...) that were displaying on the TV Out before X
> started.
>
> Does anyone have a setup that works using the M2NPV-VM?  I'm willing
> to switch distros if need be.
I am using DVI output not composite (or even the same distro as you),
but I hope I can point you in the right direction.  Check your
xorg.conf.  Sorry, but I don't know where it is installed in Ubuntu or
even what version nvidia drivers those are.   (I am using Mythdora 4.0
on this machine and Fedora Core 6 on others.)  You don't mention the
type of output, so I am assuming NTSC in the below examples.  I will
also paste a link to the nvidia readme below so you can see the other
values if you need a different TV standard.  In the Screen section make
sure you have something like the following:

Option "TVStandard" "NTSC-M"

Option "UseDisplayDevice" "TV"
Option "TVOutFormat" "COMPOSITE"

There is also a TVOverScan option, but people have had mixed results with it.

Here is a link to nvidia's readme for 9639: http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/1.0-9639/README/README.txt
Here is a link to their main driver page in case you are running a different version: http://www.nvidia.com/object/unix.html

HTH,
David