[mythtv-users] Mac Mini Core Solo as FE/BE Combo?

Nick Tan nick at wehi.EDU.AU
Mon Feb 26 22:23:20 UTC 2007

> I know you've been tinkering with both OS X and Fedora on that mini - what
> are you running on it most of the time?  The reason I ask is that I
> noticed that OS X on my mini really performed poorly when swapping.  I
> don't know if there's something wrong with the OS X virtual memory
> implementation, but I don't remember the last time an OS dragged like
> that.*

My experience with OSX is that the kern.sysv.shmmax sysctl is set very
low and needs to be increased.  You can put it in /etc/sysctl.conf
(which I don't think exists by default but I could be wrong on that).

I also found that using sysctl -w doesn't work - I needed to put the
entry into /etc/sysctl.conf and reboot.

Nick