[mythtv-users] Mac Mini Core Solo as FE/BE Combo?

Michael Freeman mlfreeman at gmail.com
Mon Feb 26 22:47:35 UTC 2007

On 2/26/07, Nick Tan <nick at wehi.edu.au> wrote:

> > I know you've been tinkering with both OS X and Fedora on that mini -
> what
> > are you running on it most of the time?  The reason I ask is that I
> > noticed that OS X on my mini really performed poorly when swapping.  I
> > don't know if there's something wrong with the OS X virtual memory
> > implementation, but I don't remember the last time an OS dragged like
> > that.*
>
> My experience with OSX is that the kern.sysv.shmmax sysctl is set very
> low and needs to be increased.  You can put it in /etc/sysctl.conf
> (which I don't think exists by default but I could be wrong on that).
>
> I also found that using sysctl -w doesn't work - I needed to put the
> entry into /etc/sysctl.conf and reboot.
>
> Nick

On Linux, does XvMC work / help any?

If I wanted to have 2 VMs in VMware Server for my personal web dev needs,
could they prolly sit next to myth without much trouble if i had a 2 GHz C2D
in my Mini?
I'm thinking Apache, PHP5, MySQL, PostgreSQL, and Samba on one and Apache,
PHP5, Trac, SVN, phpMyAdmin, phpPgAdmin, and Samba on the other.
Since they're for my personal use, I don't see them being utilized while I
watch TV...at least not heavily.

If I could play back 1080i or 720p or SD digital unencrypted QAM or MPEG2
from a PVRUSB2 while leaving those two VMs humming along in the background
[not suspended or anything like that] all on a 2 GHz C2D Mini with 2 GB RAM,
that would be exactly what I want. It'd be smaller, faster, cooler, and
quieter than a bulky Athlon64 3000+.