[mythtv-users] MythMusic dynamic sorting

Paul Harrison mythtv at dsl.pipex.com
Sun Feb 25 17:25:09 UTC 2007

Robert wrote:
> David Fishburn wrote:
>
>> Myth 0.20
>>
>> Currently, I have my music sorted by tags using author, album, song.  I
>> suspect this is the default order.
>>
>> I organize my music by directory structure. I know I can change the default
>> sort order to directory.
>>
>> I am collecting more and more mixed albums.  Half the time I want to add
>> songs (to the playlist) by author, but the other half I want to add it by a
>> directory.
>>
>> Is there a way to dynamically change this while looking at your music list?
>> I looked through the various key bindings (in MythWeb) but didn't see any
>> options available to me.
>>
>> Do other people have solutions to this kind of dilema if Myth doesn't
>> provide any support natively?
>>

> I'd be interested something similar to this too.  Sometimes I want to
> search by author->album->song, but other times by album->author->song
> for compilation albums.  In the same way that in iTunes you can select
> "All authors" then get a list of all albumns.
>
> I've not found a way to do it though - but tbh, I've not looked very
> hard either.
>

> Robert.

I've been sitting on a patch that allows you to browse your music any
which way you want. At the top level you can view a list of all artists,
albums, genres or tracks. You can filter the list by entering some text
in the edit at the top of the screen. So if you enter 'A' then only the
items that start with 'A' are shown so it is quick to find what you
want. You can then move up a level so if you start in the Artists and
select one you can them view all the albums, genres, or tracks by that
artist etc. You can choose to view the lists as text items or as images
which is great for the albums list if you have cover art for them. I got
maybe 80-90% finished and then decided I wasn't 100% happy with it :-(
and then I got distracted doing other things. I've never updated it to
work with the DB schema change either so will need some changes to get
it working again.

What I  may do if it's easy enough to fix after the schema change and
there is enough interest is post the patch on trac as a work in progress
patch for people to try and maybe we can salvage something out of it,
even if it's only an Album Art viewer or something? One problem I can
see in doing this is if you ask 10 people how the music browsing should
be done you will probably get 10 different answers :-)

Paul H.