[mythtv-users] BBC HD (1080) h.264 / AVC playback

Rudy Zijlstra mythtv at edsons.demon.nl
Sun Feb 25 16:08:13 UTC 2007

Janne Grunau wrote:
> On Thursday 22 February 2007 00:47:17 Chris Glover wrote:
>
>> Hi Janne,
>>
>> Did you have a chance to prepare a patch to set skiploopfilter=all
>> for H.264 content?
>>

> Yes, it is attached. I was quite busy. sorry it took so long.
>
> To activate it you have run following sql statement. $YOUR_HOST is the
> hostname of the frontend host.
>
> INSERT INTO settings (value, data, hostname) VALUES ("AVSkipLoopFilter",
> 1, $YOUR_HOST);
>
> Janne

Hi Janne,

Applied on my shiny new test box, Athlon 64 4600+, and it plays now the
BBC H264 streams.

I see a significant difference with mplayer though. With mplayer play
back is smooth, with myth it is jerky.

Good progress though.

I had to modify the patch a bit. After applying it avformatdecoder.cpp
would no longer compile. Changing it to:

                    if (!force_xv && kCodec_NORMAL_END < mcid &&
kCodec_STD_XVMC_END > mcid)
                    {
                        enc->pix_fmt = (idct) ?
                            PIX_FMT_XVMC_MPEG2_IDCT : PIX_FMT_XVMC_MPEG2_MC;
                    }
                }
#else
                if (CODEC_ID_H264 == enc->codec_id)
                {
                    video_codec_id = kCodec_H264;
                    if (avopt_skiploopfilter)
                    {
                        VERBOSE(VB_PLAYBACK, LOC + "Skipping the h.264
loop filter");
                        enc->skip_loop_filter = AVDISCARD_ALL;
                    }
                }
                else
                    video_codec_id = kCodec_MPEG2; // default to MPEG2
#endif // USING_XVMC

                if (enc->codec)

The part that went wrong? was as the else, which had a

              if (0)
#endif // USING_XVMC
              else  if (CODEC_ID_H264 == enc->codec_id)
                {
                    video_codec_id = kCodec_H264;

Cheers,

Rudy