[mythtv-users] BBC HD (1080) h.264 / AVC playback

Yeechang Lee ylee at pobox.com
Mon Feb 19 19:53:39 UTC 2007

Tim Small <tim at buttersideup.com> says:
> I used mplayer to play back recordings of "Planet Earth" in 1080p -
> 1440x1080 16:9 25(?)fps - files which mythtv has recorded (but not
> transcoded).

It's unclear whether you are saying you are playing back the
transmission on a 1080p display, because 1440x1080 of course is not
true 1080p (or 1080i).

> I'm pretty sure that the transmissions are 1080p - I can't see any
> interlacing artefacts.

The BBC HD trials are in 1080i. See
<URL:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BBC_HD>.

Of course, there certainly is a benefit to displaying 1080i
programming on 1080p display; start reading at
<URL:http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/246463#246463>.
I don't know if the GMA 950 is capable of 1080p output; if not, you
may want to consider stepping up to an Nvidia 6xxx or higher. (I'd
also specify "not 5xxx; see
<URL:http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/213177#213177>,"
except that you almost certainly have PCI-Express slots and the
PCX5300 is hard to find.)