[mythtv-users] Remote MythWeb Access

Arthur Green arthur at phraction.org
Sun Feb 25 10:06:37 UTC 2007

thomas.w.baker at comcast.net wrote:
> I would like to configure MythWeb so that I can schedule recoredings
> etc. from a remote location, as in not on my LAN.  Since I travel
> most of the week for work, I would like to be able to access mythweb
> while away from home.  I have already gotten to the point where I can
> access MythWeb in a web browser from within my LAN, but I'm not sure
> where to go from here.  Anyone out there done this before and have
> any tips?  Questions on my mind include:

I would think twice before exposing systems to the outside Internet like
that. I'd recommend instead using a VPN to remotely access your home
LAN. I've been running OpenVPN for a while now and am happy with it.
It's cross-platform, free and highly configurable.

> 1) Will I need a static IP address from my ISP, or can my Linksys
> router take care of this?

You will need either a static IP address or dynamic DNS. I'm a
reasonably satisfied ZoneEdit user, largely for historical reasons (too
much effort to switch to another dynDNS provider). The Linksys may have
dynDNS support built in, which might steer you towards a specific dynDNS
provider.

- AG