[mythtv-users] Off Topic: Auto mount samba shares

John Welch jrw3319 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 25 01:08:13 UTC 2007

> 2) On the client, use a filesystem type of smbfs rather than cifs. You'll
>    also need to change "file_mode" to "fmask" and "dir_mode" to "dmask",
>    but everything else should work as you've specified it. If you've got a
>    specific reason for using cifs rather than smbfs, of course, this won't
>    work, but it means you won't need to change your server's
> configuration.
>    FWIW, my understanding is that the Linux cifs filesystem is under
> active
>    development but smbfs isn't. This makes cifs a safer choice for future
>    support; however, smbfs is more mature and better tested.

I haven't used Samba with Myth, at least not yet, but I do use it fairly
extensively at work.  I know on my FC6 workstation I found with recent
kernels I could not mount file systems as type 'smbfs' anymore.  I got error
messages saying it wasn't supported in the kernel.  Might be a way around
this, but I just switched to cifs.  So, if the OP is using stock FC6 kernels
going with smbfs might not be an option.

How about using the 'username map' option in smb.conf?  From the man page
for smb.conf:

This option allows you to specify a file containing a mapping of usernames
from the clients to the server. This can be used for several purposes. The
most common is to map usernames that users use on DOS or Windows machines to
those that the UNIX box uses. The other is to map multiple users to a single
username so that they can more easily share files.
I haven't used this option for quite some time, but if I'm understanding
correctly what you are trying to accomplish it may help.