[mythtv-users] Off Topic: Auto mount samba shares

Rod Smith mythtv at rodsbooks.com
Sun Feb 25 06:44:18 UTC 2007

On Saturday 24 February 2007 20:08, John Welch wrote:
> > 2) On the client, use a filesystem type of smbfs rather than cifs.
>
> I haven't used Samba with Myth, at least not yet, but I do use it fairly
> extensively at work.  I know on my FC6 workstation I found with recent
> kernels I could not mount file systems as type 'smbfs' anymore.  I got
> error messages saying it wasn't supported in the kernel.  Might be a way
> around this, but I just switched to cifs.  So, if the OP is using stock FC6
> kernels going with smbfs might not be an option.

The way around it is to recompile the kernel and include smbfs support.
Somebody may have an RPM with the necessary precompiled kernel modules, too,
but if so I don't know where. (You might try "yum install smbfs" or something
similar on the off chance it's in a yum repository, if you're using yum. My
Fedora system isn't booted at the moment, so I can't check myself.) If lack
of smbfs support is an issue for the OP, there's always my option #1
(setting "unix extensions = No" on the server).

> How about using the 'username map' option in smb.conf?  From the man page
> for smb.conf:

AFAIK, this option only affects authentication; it's designed to enable you to
map DOS or Windows usernames onto Linux usernames for authentication, not for
subsequent file accesses. For instance, if you've got a Windows username
of "John Doe" and a Linux username of "jdoe", you could set it up so that
when Windows sends "John Doe" as the username, Linux maps this to the local
jdoe account. Under SMB (and hence the Linux smbfs driver), the username
isn't associated with individual files, so the effects of "username map" end
at authentication. I just did a quick test under CIFS and didn't see any
effects on the usernames linked to files when using this option with the
Linux cifs driver. Of course, it's possible that I missed something, but I
doubt it. The "username map" option lets you link multiple Windows usernames
to a single Linux username, so the reverse mapping wouldn't be unique. It's
also intended for Unix/Windows interoperability, whereas the Unix extensions
(which deliver the usernames or UIDs that are causing the OP problems) relate
to Unix/Unix interoperability, so I doubt if the Samba developers would have
attempted to link them. Of course, I could be wrong; Samba's a very complex
server with lots and lots and lots and lots of options, many of which are
intended for very specific and obscure purposes.

--
Rod Smith
http://www.rodsbooks.com