[mythtv-users] Article: Disk failures in the real world

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Wed Feb 21 15:59:15 UTC 2007

On 2/21/07, John Drescher <drescherjm at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2/21/07, Steven Adeff <adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com> wrote:
> > via /.
> > Disk failures in the real world:
> > What does an MTTF of 1,000,000 hours mean to you?
> > http://www.usenix.org/events/fast07/tech/schroeder/schroeder_html/index.html
> > Bianca Schroeder Garth A. Gibson
> > Computer Science Department
> > Carnegie Mellon University
> >
> Thanks for the links. Very good reads. I was a little surprised by the
> conclusion that failure rates of SCSI and FC are no better than SATA.

I didn't find that so surprising, from my understanding manufacturers
stopped making different drives depending on interface, they would
just change the interface on the same drive. So this outcome would
make sense.

I was more surprised that the enterprise drives had no significant
advantage over the commercial versions. Here I was looking at some
enterprise drives to build my new media RAID array from, now I can
save some money and go with the consumer version.

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!