[mythtv-users] Recommended HDTV card Australia

Jarrod Harch jarrod.harch at gmail.com
Wed Feb 21 00:37:18 UTC 2007

Hi Marc, for the tuner card I bought a TwinHan miniTer which was one
of the cheapest I could find (about 3 months ago). It works well, and
comes with a remote and USB iR receiver - I haven't set up the remote,
so can't tell you how well the remote works with Linux & myth. The
miniTer also comes with a low-profile bracket so you can install it in
some of the small HTPC-type boxes. I think I bought it from
eyo.com.au.

I'm running Ubuntu edgy eft on the backend.

One thing I did have problems with, was scanning for channels. MythTV
would scan them all OK but then wouldn't be able to use them e.g. in
'live TV'. In the end I used 'scan' to do the channel scan then
imported the results into MythTV. This worked fine. See the tutorial
at http://parker1.co.uk/mythtv_ubuntu.php which should be useful, even
if you don't use Ubuntu.

You don't really need a powerful computer for capturing dvb, even when
it's high def. For playback of high def you'll definitely need some
grunt, you might also look at hardware mpeg2 decoding depending on
your video card. I don't know much about that.

Cheers
Jarrod