[mythtv-users] Control of multiple external tuners with MythTV

Robin Gilks g8ecj at gilks.org
Mon Feb 19 20:44:40 UTC 2007

> Is it possible to use just one IR transmitter, and just tell it which
> codes to use at the time? Something like a macro that some learning
> remotes have, that can send commands to multiple devices at once.
>
> I've found references to some IR blasters that work through LIRC, which
> is evidently problematic at times, and some that work without LIRC. Hard
> to tell which would be more likely to "just work". Work, as in work to
> the point where I can program it without worrying if it isn't working
> because my program's wrong, or I built LIRC wrong, or something else is
> wrong.
>
> I know I'm going to have to write up my own channel changing script, as
> the 4DTV receivers don't have a good path to computer control, and the
> MPEG receiver depends on one of the receivers for dish moving. Don't
> mind the software-writing part; I would just prefer to have the easiest
> hardware to work with.

I've used 3 IR LEDs in series on a homebrew serial port IR blaster (with a
reduced series resistor due to the larger voltage drop) to control 3
totally seperate devices using lirc. These are a TV (to turn on/off), a
theatre amp (to turn on/off and select analog/digital input) and a set top
box for satellite to change channel.

No issues as all since the codes for all the devices are in the lircd.conf
file in their own code blocks, just a matter of making sure I didn't have
a name clash between devices. No 'crosstalk' or anything nasty like that
although I did find that the theatre amp required the codes to be repeated
3 times to simulate the remote.

--
Robin Gilks