[mythtv-users] how long should commercial flagging take to complete?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Feb 19 18:33:48 UTC 2007

On 02/19/2007 01:13 PM, Kevin Ould wrote:
> I have more or less put my new Myth Box into active service as of this
> weekend. This is my first Myth Box so I am a newb, I am coming from a
> windows based htpc setup with SageTV. So last night I recorded Family
> Guy from an OTA HD feed which is a half hour show. I had commercial
> flagging set to "auto". According to MythWeb and MythWelcome it is
> still performing commercial flagging about 15 hours later. Now I
> realize it may take some time to perform this task but I think 15
> hours is a little long, I could be wrong though. Is there any way to
> check to make sure it isn't hung up or that it is actually still doing
> something?

Last night's episode was recorded OTA HDTV by my Athlon XP 2000+ (slave
backend) and commflagged remotely (using myth to stream the file) by my
Athlon XP 2400+ (master backend) while recording (meaning it had to wait
a couple of minutes (8, I think) to build enough of a buffer to do the
logo detection) and still took less than an hour.  From the log (which
comes into play for your second question):

2007-02-18 21:00:50.215 JobQueue: Commercial Flagging Starting for
Family Guy "The Tan Aquatic With Steve Zissou" recorded from channel
1351 at Sun Feb 18 21:00:00 2007
2007-02-18 21:55:43.994 JobQueue: Commercial Flagging Finished, 3
break(s) found.

> Along the same lines I have a script which runs that automatically
> starts up mythbackend and a couple other things which need starting
> for my mythbox to run properly. Is there a way in the script to have
> mythbackend output to a terminal window or something along those lines
> so I can check it's status?

mythbackend --help

Look closely at "-l"

Mike