[mythtv-users] how long should commercial flagging take to complete?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Mon Feb 19 18:37:28 UTC 2007

On Feb 19, 2007, at 11:13 AM, Kevin Ould wrote:

> I have more or less put my new Myth Box into active service as of
> this weekend. This is my first Myth Box so I am a newb, I am coming
> from a windows based htpc setup with SageTV. So last night I
> recorded Family Guy from an OTA HD feed which is a half hour show.
> I had commercial flagging set to "auto". According to MythWeb and
> MythWelcome it is still performing commercial flagging about 15
> hours later. Now I realize it may take some time to perform this
> task but I think 15 hours is a little long, I could be wrong
> though. Is there any way to check to make sure it isn't hung up or
> that it is actually still doing something?
>
> Along the same lines I have a script which runs that automatically
> starts up mythbackend and a couple other things which need starting
> for my mythbox to run properly. Is there a way in the script to
> have mythbackend output to a terminal window or something along
> those lines so I can check it's status?
>
> Thanks in advance,

I'm not sure where to start on this one. Yes 15 hours is too long,
unless you're running on a Commodore 64, and even then it's
questionable.

Can you log into the machine from another box vis SSH? Top will show
you what processes are running. "ps aux | grep commflag" would tell
you if the job is running as well.

You can also get another console by the alt-shift-F(x) key method and
log in as root, but a lot depends on your particular distro, some of
them try and "protect" you from yourself.

I'd guess you're just seeing the old job on the MythWeb site and it
has actually finished.

It's really worth your time to learn some Unix/Linux basics, and fun
too.